I don’t particularly have a need to use this stuff; and the WiTango software itself is prehistoric (the last release for Windows was made in 2006, and the last release for UNIX clones/relatives was made in 2005), but I felt like a challenge.
After obtaining and unpacking the approximately 9MB Witango_App_Server_for_Win_5.5.020.zip archive; I preceded to run the installer, and followed most of the instructions provided – stopping only to obtain a “Lite” licence key using a spare GAfYD GMail account, as well as a copy of the Apache installer.
During the installation process, I ended up having to answer “Other” to a prompt regarding HTTP daemons; since Apache wasn’t installed, and I’ve been burnt previously by the outdated and otherwise dodgy WiTango Apache modules (the Linux ones don’t even work with Apache 2.2 as supplied by Fedora, and most of the supporting tools in the Linux package are broken – but that’s by-the-by).
Eventually, I was greeted with a dialogue with rather useless (incomplete) information, and peeked inside the directory at C:\Program Files\WitangoServer\5.5, to discover a Witango.exe executable that did nothing whatsoever when invoked, a rough ReadMe file, and various other DLLs, configuration files and directories.
I then installed Apache – ensuring that it wasn’t started as a service, and operated on TCP port 8080 by default, before returning to WiTango’s ReadMe file to look for the magic httpd.conf lines that would supposedly make things work.
Said ReadMe file recommends using the following – which wouldn’t work, unless you copied a ton of DLLs around:
# Witango Apache Plug-in configuration
As an initial compromise, I resorted to appending the following to the bottom of the httpd.conf file, and restarting Apache:
LoadModule WitangoModule "C:\Program Files\WitangoServer\5.5\PlugIns\mod_witango55_apache22.so"
AddType application/witango-application-file .taf .tml .thtml .tcf
After creating an empty file at C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\test.thtml, and navigating to http://localhost:8080/test.thtml in Chrome, I was greeted with this:
I resorted to altering the WitangoModule path to refer to the absolute path of the module’s DLL file (““C:\Program Files\WitangoServer\5.5\PlugIns\mod_witango55_apache22.so”” – a single pair of double quotes are used within httpd.conf), and restarting Apache yet again, only to receive the same “Client Error” message again.
According to the installation guide – which doesn’t even ship with the WiTango Server product, a Windows service (“Witango Server 5.5“) is supposed to be running (although it was never started in my case).
Unfortunately, the ReadMe never stated that, but I’m sure that it was obvious to the developers…
That aside, after starting the aforementioned service, I was greeted with this:
I guess that I can call it a success, given that I’m unfamiliar with the Tango/WiTango language, and haven’t got around to trying the associated developer tools yet…