Posted tagged ‘Ubuntu’

Workaround for VMAlloc errors from Linux-ZFS under Ubuntu 11.10

October 13, 2012

Earlier on, today, I decided to stress-test the “ZFS on Linux” project’s drivers under my Ubuntu VirtualBox VM, by creating a new ZPool spanning two virtual SATA hard disks, and trying to extract a Wireshark SVN source archive within it.

However, after my initial attempt at extracting the archive seemingly stalled, and discovering that the kernel logs were full of “vmap allocation for size 4198400 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size” errors, I ended up reading a page on the MythTV Wiki detailing a similar problem.

Unfortunately, the suggestions provided there weren’t entirely up-to-date with the configuration of GRUB in that version of Ubuntu – although they provided some useful recommendations for identifying a remedy for this issue.

Finally, after searching for “3.0.0-14-generic” within “/boot/grub/grub.cfg”, appending “vmalloc=400M” to the line beginning with “linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-14-generic“, and rebooting the VM, I was able to successfully unpack the archive, and build the software itself.

Obviously, this is just a temporary method that will probably get broken when upgrading the GRUB, or Linux kernel versions – but I thought that I’d quickly share this workaround, for future reference.

Advertisements

Attempting to install MOST4Linux 1.0.0 under Ubuntu – Part 1

May 24, 2012

Earlier on today, I decided to see if I could build the Media-Oriented Systems Transport protocol stack from the MOST4Linux project under Ubuntu 11.04.

However, it was originally designed for earlier versions of the Linux kernel than 2.6.38; and is no longer actively maintained by its developers – which makes compiling, and using it a challenge.

When I initially attempted to build the code, after downloading and extracting the most recent source code archive, the build process failed with:

By making a number of modifications to the source code and build scripts, I was eventually able to reach this stage:

Unfortunately, I’m unsure of the best way to continue – so I’ve decided to dump my modified code on BitBucket.

Those curious about my modifications to achieve the aforementioned result can deduce them from the “reversed” difference list – which was created by adding my modified version of the code into a special branch in a new Mercurial repository (“Initial_Ubuntu_Port_Attempt“), and then retroactively importing the original version of the code into yet another branch (“Original_Code“).

When I get the chance, I’ll probably document how I arrived at that conclusion, and share some resources that I discovered along the way.